Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card
If your next destination is Hawaii, you should know which is the best credit card as well as its pros and cons.
Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card
The Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard offers the bonus of 60,000 Hawaiian Miles after you spend $2,000 on the purchases in the first 90 days. Also, earn 3 miles for every dollar spent on Hawaiian Airlines purchases. Sadly, the mileage-earning rates for other assets could be better, and the card also comes with a $99 annual fee (waived the first year).
- Decent Reward with Controlled Spend Requirement: The 60,000 Miles Bonus requires $2,000 to be spent in the first 90 days. That's just $667 per month, which many families can manage. Other cards with similar rewards may require you to spend $3,000 or $4,000 in the first 90 days.
- Free first checked bag on eligible flights: You can check one free bag on flights operated by Hawaiian Airlines as the primary cardholder on North America or adjacent island flights. International flights are not eligible. Licensed users do not qualify for this feature either. To receive the free checked bag, tickets must be purchased directly through Hawaiian Airlines using your Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard. Your HawaiianMiles account number must also be linked to the reservation before check-in.
- $100 Annual Discount: On each account anniversary, you will receive an accompanying $100 discount on a single companion ticket. The discount is good for 12 months from the anniversary of the account. Using this companion ticket each year can justify the $99 annual fee (waived for the first year). This discount is only valid on return bus flights between Hawaii, and North America booked directly with Hawaiian Airlines using the primary card member's HawaiianMiles account. The primary cardholder must also be a passenger.
- One-time 50% off Utility Discount: When you open your account, you will receive a one-time 50% discount off the return trip of the total posted bus fare for a companion. Subject to the same restrictions as the accompanying $100 discount mentioned above.
- Low-profit rates on airline purchases outside of Hawaii: Non-Hawaii airline purchases earn a maximum of 2 miles per dollar spent. Credit cards offer higher reward values ??in rewards and other purchase categories.
Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard Bonus
- This card offers an additional bonus of 60,000 HawaiianMiles after you spend $2,000 on the purchases in the first 90 days. This is a decent bonus for a card with an annual fee (waived in the first year).
Investopedia's assessment of Hawaiian Airlines miles of 1.26 cents shows that the 60,000 miles are worth $882. This is an excellent value for a very reasonable total spend.
- The bonus is only available to first-time primary cardholders with new accounts, and it may take four to six weeks to deposit the additional miles into your HawaiianMiles account.
Rewards earning details
- The Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard lets you earn 3 HawaiianMiles for every dollar you spend directly with Hawaiian Airlines, excluding duty-free purchases made on the plane. You'll also earn 2 HawaiianMiles for every dollar on gas, grocery, and dining purchases. Unfortunately, Target and Walmart are not included in the definition of grocery stores, and warehouse clubs, drugstores, and discount stores, in general, are not eligible either. All other purchases earn 1 Hawaiian Mile per dollar.
- There are also no limits on the number of the HawaiianMiles you can earn when your account is in good standing. You may not earn miles during the billing cycle if you are fail to make that minimum payment by the payment due date, your account becomes delinquent, or your account is in default. Your miles never expire.
Reward redemption details
HawaiianMiles can be exchanged in various ways, but using them on flights will usually yield the best value. When you redeem your miles for flights on Hawaiian Airlines, rewards start at 7,500 miles for travel within Hawaii and 20,000 miles for flights between Hawaii and the US West Coast.
You can also redeem Hawaiian Miles for flights on partner airlines by calling the HawaiianMiles Service Center at 877-426-4537. Prizes on partner airlines can only be used for round-trip flights and are subject to availability, which may be limited.
Current partner airlines include:
- China Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Jet Blue
- Korean Air
- Virgin Australia
Other redemption options include hotel stays through the HawaiianMiles reservation program, hotel gift certificates through Outrigger/Ohana Hotels, rental car gift vouchers, select shopping, food gift vouchers, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, donations, and gifting Hawaiian Airlines Premier Club memberships to others.